The US Virgin Islands are a great destination if you’re looking for the perfect tropical getaway full of beautiful beaches, turquoise water, and swaying palm trees. This group of three islands just south-east of Puerto Rico is a haven for sailors and beach bums alike, but before you set sail, here are 9 things you should know about the USVIs:
1. The US Virgin Islands is a US territory, which means that if you’re an American, you don’t need a passport to travel there.
2. There are three main islands in the USVI: St. Thomas, St. John, and St. Croix.
3. Although it’s a US territory, they drive on the left side of the road here.
4. If you’re looking for shopping, nightlife, the hustle and bustle, and big resorts, dock your ship in St. Thomas.
5. If you want a quieter vacation where you can unplug and unwind in some of the prettiest scenery available, head to St. John.
6. If you’re looking for fantastic beaches, golf, and historic sites, head to the island of St. Croix.
7. If you want to hit up a few happy hours in the Virgin Island’s, the drinks of choice are typically the Pain Killer and the Bush Whacker.
8. It’s not uncommon to see donkeys, chickens, cows, and goats wandering the islands (especially in St. John) so be careful but also have your camera ready.
9. The Virgin Islands are a laid back location, so you won’t find too many people getting dressed up for dinner. Swimsuits, tees, hats, and flip-flops are entirely acceptable in most places.
Want to learn more? Contact us HERE, and we can fill you in on all of the fun activities available to you during your private yacht charter vacation!